Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Obedience, round 1

This definitely will NOT always be about dogs or obedience classes...but that's where I am with the blog for now.

Tonight was our first obedience class, but also the last for Merlin, at least for now. He did great, but Bean is coming back this weekend and Merlin is going back to Ohio, so next week, and the rest of the obedience sessions will be with Bean. I'm excited about that because originally I wanted to do the class with Bean, and this will get us one step closer to agility.

Merlin was very impressive. He actually took treats the entire hour which for him is seriously unheard of...I was truly shocked. He did well with most everything that was asked of him. As expected he was totally enthralled by the agility taking place on the other half of the building but for the most part I was able to get him to ignore it. The recalls though? That was tough. He was his talkative self when other people were calling their dogs in loud, shrieking, distracting ways and when it was my turn? Oh I think I'll try to blow by you and check out that agility class...sigh. But we got past that somewhat.

Downs are also a little more difficult. He can do them, don't get me wrong, but he is s-l-o-w when it comes to completing the task. He is the slowest sitter and downer and we need to work on less of a sit-down and more of a boom-down kind of thing, but he'll be okay. I can't wait to see what Bean does next weekend with his over-dramatic plop-downs and adorable attitude. :-) Here's hoping he ignores the other dogs he'll surely want to play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment